Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Painting panel

I love painting on wood! 
When I was in my Color of Woman teacher training a couple of years ago, I found our "Art Doc" Leslie's tutorial on buying and mounting a hardwood panel super helpful.
I painted both my Taliswoman, "Songs of Light," and my Alchemist, "Firekeeper," on wood panels my dear son-in love helped me mount. I bought and had the panels cut at Lowe's, then took it to Matt, who has the tools, workspace, and is handy. (And loves my art!)

Hummingbird from Songs of Light
I got a little sanding block depth fine sandpaper, sanded the wood, and watched a tutorial that recommended applying a couple of coats of GAC-100 (polymer, the binder for acrylic paint) before the gesso. 
The suggested drying time for the polymer is 3 hours, the gesso drys much more quickly. I sanded between the dry layers, then wiped the dust off with a soft rag. 
I was blessed to provide online support for last weekend's Legend class, "She's a Piece of Work," with Shiloh and CoW graduate Jassy Watson, and decided to paint on wood again. I didn't have time to assemble a board this time, so purchased an "American Easel" birch painting panel. These are lighter weight, and easier to hang! 
I followed the same process of applying two layers of GAC-100 (the first Thursday night), then three of gesso. I diluted the first layer gesso a bit (no more than 25% water!) dipping my brush in water, then the gesso. I sanded each coast of gesso lightly, before applying the next, and wiped off the surface each time. I paint in my dining nook, and propped the panel on my kitchen sink and chair back for the preparation!
By the time we were ready to paint Friday afternoon, the board was ready! This is (much) lighter than the panels we made, so won't be as heavy to mount. I hope to hang Her at the Gallery which hosts my work when She's complete, and I think she may want some "gold" leaf (which goes well on wood!)
Ready to paint!

Happy painting, and happy Paint Party Friday

9 comments:

Sue (this n that) said...

Hi Nadya, thanks for the tip about using the polymer medium prior to the Gesso for painting on wooden surfaces. Your work in the gallery is stunning :D)

Valerie-Jael said...

I haven't painted on wood for a long time, but thanks for the tip, I ill remember it if I do it again. Happy PPF, hugs, Valerie

John R said...

I've never painted on wood, but I'll remember your tip if I ever do. Thank you for sharing.

Faye said...

Great tips. Thanks so much.

Susan said...

Thanks for your tips on painting on wood. Happy PPF

DVArtist said...

This is a great tip thank you so much.

Laney said...

I love painting on wood so this is a welcome tip! Thank you!

Nadya said...

You're welcome! I really enjoy painting on wood, and preparing the panels feels so good!

Nadya said...

Fun pulling out this post for this year's Color of Woman students who are preparing their first painting panels!

One of our At Doctors suggests using a house paint primer for the first layer, if you have that on hand!