Thursday, July 4, 2013

Caravan Dreams

I have always been intrigued with Caravans! 
As a child, we camped by rivers (the Metolious & the Deschutes) so my dad could go fly fishing - at first with two tarps (one for a drop cloth, the other a wind break) & my mom had a wooden camping box outfitted with dishes, pots n pans, basic supplies that, along with our Coleman stove & lantern, food & sleeping gear, allowed us to be off to the mountains on a given weekend!

Then it was a Higgens Tent Trailer (Get out of the way when my dad was working on getting those tent poles in place!!  I loved the blue flash, when the lantern was going out at night, & loved having my daddy sing mom & me to sleep!

Then a small camp trailer, which was easier to set up (he always carried a plumb bob, to help level it), & later another, slightly larger trailer. My Uncle Lloyd built a small storage trailer, similar to the back of this Teardrop, that they'd bring camping. It folded out, & was so clever. I think they had a tent for sleeping.

Parked in our driveway, our trailer made a great 'sleep over' room when a galfriend came to visit. We could giggle till all hours without keeping my folks awake!

I loved READING about caravans - Rummer Godden's 'The Didikoi' about a little gypsy girl is a favorite. And pictures! Sigh .... 
I spent 3 months one fall living in a Yurt at Breitenbush, beautifully built by Zoe, decorated & kept by my friend Gwynne.



Last year my friend Nancy took a workshop at the coast, & encountered a group of women campers, Sisters on the Fly, with adorable, decked out trailers ... & decided she was going to get one herself! 
She was staying in the same park, in the motor home she & her hubby own .... but having a cute little trailer beckoned. She considered fitting their cargo trailer with her Glamping Gear, but her hubby & son weren't sure they'd enjoy towing a yellow & pink trailer ...
So this spring, she picked a travel trailer up for a song (well, the cost the previous owner  incurred re-upolstering the cushions!) & it's a work in progress!

We hope it's ready for the road in a month, when we head to our HS reunion. Meanwhile, I've been thinking how fun it would be to have a little caravan of my own, sitting in my driveway, dreaming of the road ....(LOVE Penni's pink treasure, with custom spare tire cover!!)

1 comment:

Nadya said...

The 'Glamper' wasn't ready for that reunion (our 45th) so we steadied in a motel!
But by our 50th, it was all decked out and Nancy had taken it on several adventures with the Sisterhood, and we camped at the Redmond Fairgrounds.

Sadly, Nancy passed last weekend, so won't be there for our 55th - I'll miss her!