Friday, October 23, 2020

Glazing and Repurposing

When I took that first Muse class in 2014, I was having a good time with ceremony, visioning, painting and journaling, ...

Then Elisabeth told us we were going to paint over our canvas with a Risky Glaze - ¿paint over? ¿glaze? Yikes!! 

She demonstrated, choosing translucent paint, and some water,  spritzing the canvas, then applying with a big brush, then rubbing it with a square of old T-shirt, to burnish ...well, that wasn't so bad! And it did integrate the different colours. Now, it's one of my favorite processes!

Recently,  new painters in our Red Thread Creatives group have asked about preparing new raw canvas, and about repurposing our own or thrift store canvases. 

For a new raw canvas, you'll need to apply several layers of gesso, give plenty of drying time, and sand between layers. You can also prepare wood panels.

When I'm reclaiming or repurposing, I generally use a glaze rather than gesso! 

Good Medicine - 2019

Glaze to reclaim a canvas

  • If you're revisiting a canvas after a time, a lite glaze is a good way to reclaim it.
  • When you're called to continue, pull out your journal notes about your painting
  • Light a candle and pour a cup of tea
  • Sit back about 6' and return to the initial visioning and inquiry.
  • Ask yourself What attracted you to this subject  or class in the first place? What's shifted since you last painted? What insight is arising?
  • Are you drawn to continue, or start something new? 
  • Spend some time with your intention,  and write it on your canvas/in your journal. 
  • Get fresh water, and perhaps reset your altar
  • Glazing can be scary, and is so potent!! It is a great way to integrate what has gone before, and is a key component of our process with Intentional Creativity. It is also a simple way to add Mothercolour 
  • Use a transparent color - Golden's Quinacridone Nickel Azo Gold or Transparent Red Iron Oxide are some favorites! 
  • What's gone before and each new layer adds depth.
  • Want to gesso? Consider choosing a transparent color, watering it down a bit, use a big brush and cover the canvas with a layer of glaze! How does that feel?  Write about your process!
  • Translucent Golden Fluids work great for glazing - you can lay it flat to glaze and dry, and perhaps use a piece of T-shirt, to rub and "burnish" the canvas. ... 
  • Then, you guessed it! 
  • Sit back with your journal, and write about what's being integrated! 
Glaze options:
  • Partial glaze, use one color on half the canvas, and another on the other half. Smudge the line between the two, burnish if you wish.
  • 4 directions: choose 4 transparent colors. Spritz the canvas with water, then use the first color along the top, spritz again and let it drip ...rotate the canvas, spritz and use the next color ... Spray, paint, play with the drips. Turn the canvas again ... 
  • White!! If you REALLY want to gesso the whole thing, try spritzing the canvas, choose a direction, paint white along the "top", spray again and let it drip! Or use white on the area you "don't like" and spray it, let it drip ...
  • Gold! Our inner Critics are easily distracted by shiny objects! Spray the canvas, and use splashes of gold or another metallic in a few areas!
                              Thrift store pansy

Repurposing a canvas
  • I love finding a large canvas at the thrift store, and reclaiming it! 
  • When I get it home, I spritz it with water (often with flower essences) and wipe it down, and use Palo Santa or cedar to smudge it. 
  • A bit of salt in a bowl of water, and damp washcloth are another option for cleansing and clearing.
  • If there's a lot of texture, I might lightly sand that area, and dust off with a dry cloth.
  • When you're ready to glaze, consider the colors already there, and your approach. 
  • Bless the canvas, and pull out your journal, to write and sketch
  • Write your intention on the Canvas (I use Neocolor 2)
Some examples:
  • A painting of a spaniel was white and gold, with very dark eyes, I painted white over the eyes, and perhaps glazed the whole piece with Quinacridone nickel Azo Gold. There was a lot of light texture, which added interest to my painting!. 
  • On the big pansy - mostly dark purple, I added more purple around it, and to the white triangle in the center. 
  • I might do partial glasses, or a 4 directions glaze on a more random piece
  Pansy - after several layers
This became "Good Medicine"

Do you have favorite ways to repurpose canvases? 


9 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Thanks for the tips. Always good to re-use instead of buying new. Happy PPF, stay safe, Valerie

Christine said...

Thanks for sharing, nice work.

Anna Maria Junus said...

Not a painter. I'm here because of the Ultimate Blog. I had heard that artists will paint over a painting, I had never heard of enhancing a painting before. Interesting.

Kebba Buckley Button said...

I don't paint much, but I love your colors and effects. And this post is very interesting, with all the options. I feel freer to experiment now-- thanks!

virginiaallain said...

I never thought about reusing a canvas from a thrift store. Great idea.

DVArtist said...

I do reuse canvas and I mostly gesso over it. Nice redo on the pansy.

Confuzzled Shannon said...

Thank you for the tips. I have taken a few art classes and none of the teachers I had in high school or college showed me about using gesso. Unless it was on a day I missed. lol

Rain said...

Hi Nadya :) I love your "good medicine"! :) I do the same, I find old canvases at thrift stores and re-use them too. Nice tips! :)

Nadya said...

Thanks got all the sweet feedback!
I don't recall learning about fees in HS or college art classes either - but acrylics were pretty garish then, and didn't interest me much....
I particularly enjoy finding larger canvases, and seeing what I can do with them! With Intentional Creativity®, we work with lots of layers and inquiry, and I find I often have one awhile before it surely seems right for a painting!