Sunday, March 27, 2016

Love Calling Your Name

One of my dad's favorite Easter song was 'In the Garden.'

Composer C. Austin Miles wrote, "I seemed to be standing at the entrance to a garden, looking down a gently winding path shaded by olive branches. A woman in white walked slowly into the shadows. It was Mary. As she came to the tomb, she bent over to look in, & leaning her head upon her arm, she wept. Turning herself, she saw Jesus standing beside her: so did I. I knew it was he."


Awakening from his vision that March day in 1912, Miles wrote 'as quickly as the words could be formed the poem' which has come down to us as the song, The Garden.


My dad & I often sang 'The Garden" at Easter, & I've always loved it. Two years ago on Easter, my teacher artist Shiloh Sophia McCloud offered her video painting series on Mary Magdalene for 40 days, at no charge (!) & I signed up! This was the first of many on-line painting sessions I've done with Shiloh, culminating in my graduation as a Color of Woman Teacher!

This year, Shiloh is offering a Magdalene class she recorded in 2014, Love Called my Name! Shiloh writes, "it is Easter morning for most of the world, while my tradition celebrates it on May 1 this year. I woke up feeling the energy of beauty, of change, of transformation that comes with this time of resurrection and a powerful part of the Magdalene story.  And so .... I wanted to wish you a blessed day and give you access to a class I recorded a few years ago for Red Madonna - it is free for 5 weeks. A little present from us. Many blessings. Shiloh Sophia Magdalena (My baptism name is Magdalena)"

Karen King's Gospel of Mary Magdalene offers access to the fragments of that Gospel that
Mary of Magdala
have come down to us (from 3 different source scrolls, found with some of the other scrolls in Egypt.) 

Mary's gospel appears to have been "well distributed in early Christian times and existed in both an original Greek and a Coptic language translation." The first & second World Wars in the last century interfered with publication in modern English until 1955.

The message  Mary of Magdala passed on is simple: 
* "Peace be with you. Receive my peace unto yourselves.
* Beware that no one lead you astray saying Lo here or lo there! For the Son of Man is within you.
* Follow after Him!  Those who seek Him will find Him.
* Go then and preach the gospel of the Kingdom.
* Do not lay down any rules beyond what I appointed you, and do not give a law like the lawgiver lest you be constrained by it."


One Magdalene scollar writes, ""Mary TRAVELLED! She didn't just sit around in one place, there are stories throughout outhern France, Languodoc & Provance, of her journies, her presence, the sacred objects she carried & her teachings. In the mid 90s while living at the coast, I wrote a story about Mary learning the hands on healing when she was a disciple, & I believe she did."

Through our art and stories, Mary is still on her healing journey? Is she calling you? 

I posted about my first painting here. she was one of the pieces I brought when I spoke at my church on Intentional Creativity. (click the link to see my presentation on Intentional Creativity & the Red Thread) 

Blessings! 

1 comment:

Nadya said...

You still have access to these videos for a couple of weeks!! CoW student Lorraine in France is getting together with friends to watch the videos and translate for them, as they paint along!