Friday, September 18, 2015

Mystical Mermaids

One of the goals of entering the Intentional Creativity Quest is to share these teachings with others in Red Thread Circles & Workshops. I am so fortunate to live close to three graduates of this training, & to have experienced workshops with each of them. 

In early summer, IC teacher & coach Lora Rinke invited me to be one of the co-organizers in a MeetUp group for Intentional Creativity. She felt it would be good to coordinate with other CoW teachers &  students in our area, & I agreed!

Lora listed a workshop on 'The Mystical Mermaid, a Woman's Creativity Workshop,' for Saturday, June 13. When I asked if I could audit, Lora suggested I assist her! We met for lunch the day before the workshop (which would be in her town, about 20 miles away) to do a bit of planning.
In the invitation, Lora wrote, "She is a symbol of letting our hearts and passion overrule the analytical mind.  Perk your ears.  Let the mermaid woo you into churning seas of dreams."
Students engaged with their Mermaids
Lora, two students & I and met in a lovely, bright room in the Sherwood Senior Center.  Both students had painted before, and were quite comfortable with the process. I brought my small therapy harp Bella Luna along, & after our Red Thread Circle, I played while Lora read the journey/visualization! I have envisioned playing for one of these, & Lora was quite receptive to the idea, & the students loved it.

Lora & I each brought a 20 x 24" canvas, & painted on easels, the students had 16 x 20" canvases, and were set up on the covered tables. Lora suggested they bring journals, & provided extras.

Altar with my story cards & painting
Our altar on the counter close to the sink had a salt candle holder, roses, some shells, my Soulful Story cards & a painting I had done in another local class, my Awakened Healer ('She heals with Light & Compassion') who has sea horse earrings, a starfish & other sea elements.

Lora brought along large painting of a mermaid, & one done on watercolor paper in Hawaii with Shiloh, & we set those up in the front of the room.
Nadya at the easel









Since our subjects were painting mermaids, there wasn't as much instruction on the faces (which were smaller), & each of the students seemed to have a clear idea of where her lady was taking her!

I was intrigued that we were able to do so much in a 4 hour class (WITH a snack/lunch break, which we took on the picnic table outside the classroom!!)

Lora brought about a dozen Golden Acrylic paints, and the limited palette seemed quite adequate for our work, & cut down on time spent 'choosing' colours. We used rose petals to write our intention on the canvas, which was delightful!

It was a fun relaxed day, & a great experience.
Happy Paint Party Friday!
Lora (L) & Nadya (2nd from Rt) Beautiful mermaids

9 comments:

Lisabella Russo said...

Oh these are beautiful! I love them, especially the blue toned one...

HeARTworks said...

Hi Dia, what a splendid time together and I love those paintings! Thank you for sharing all the little details!
patsy

Linda Kunsman said...

ooh the paintings are exquisite and I especially love that the class was surrounded by beautiful things and intention. Happy PPF!

Giggles said...

Gorgeous paintings the energy was there to accomplish some wonderful pieces!! Well done!!

Hugs Giggles

DVArtist said...

These are all fabulous. Looks like everyone had a fun time.
Nicole/Beadwright

Gloria j Zucaro said...

What a relaxing and creative afternoon. I love the resulting mermaids!

Nadya said...

Thank you so much!
Yes, it was such a fun day!

Tracey FK said...

I am so late on PPF visits this week but glad I didn't miss this one... They created such wonderful work so they obviously learnt a huge amount and had a great day... Fab post

Beth Niquette said...

What a beautiful painting! I love the colors you used.